Top 10 Fast-Casual: Meal In a New York Minute
I recently read an article in The New York Times that listed New Yorkers as having one of the worst commutes. On average a New Yorker will spend 35.9 minutes on a one-way commute and a total of 89.4 hours a year spent in congestion. I did the math that is an additional 15 minutes for delays and what not per day. With that being said and understanding how precious every minute of our day is while living in the NYC I am sharing with you 10 great fast-casual establishments.
Glaze - This Seattle-style Teriyaki spot is known for their house-made small batch sauces that include your traditional teriyaki sauce along with different variations of hotness. Their proteins are made to order and include salmon, chicken, beef, and tofu. With locations in Williamsburg, Midtown West, Midtown East, and Union Square I am sure you will be able to find one close to you
Dom's Rec - Salmon, white rice, sesame dressing, and spicy sauce
Minigrow/Honeygrow - I am pretty sure it is no surprise these two made the list. If you have been following me for a while you know I am not just a fan, but a STAN. In 2012, Honeygrow was birthed from the plant-based diet that the CEO, Justin Rosenberg, was adhering to. They quickly grew to 30 locations in other cities such as Boston, Chicago, and Washington D.C. After the much success of Honeygrow, Minigrow was created and establish his hometown of New York City. Minigrow and Honeygrow allows you full customization of your noodles and salad with a endless options of mix-ins.
- Dom's Rec
- Minigrow: Three wheat noodles, chicken, ginger scallion soy sauce, broccoli, mushrooms, crispy shallots, scallions, and MG spice
- Honeygrow: Egg white noodles, spicy garlic sauce, chicken, shrimp, onion, bell peppers, and parsley
Xi'an Famous Foods - Their specialty is their hand pulled noodles that comes with a firm recommendation of eating while in the restaurant. The majority of their entrees allow you to adjust the levels of spiciness to suit your taste-buds. The fast-causal chain was previously featured on my blog so it was no brainier they would be included in this list.
- Dom's Rec - Spicy & Tingly Beef Hand Pulled Noodles and Spicy & Sour Lamb Dumplings
Sophie's Cuban Cuisine - 10 locations and 20 years later Sophie's is still a great place to grab a standard Cuban meal on the go. Their set up is cafeteria style with the empanadas up front near the window to entice you. I typically go to the location near Madison Square Park and grab a Cubano which is a perfect combo for people watching in the park.
- Dom's Rec - Shrimp in garlic sauce, chicken empanadas, and Cuban sandwich
Dos Toros Taqueria - This San Francisco taqueria is like Chipotle but with better ingredients and minus the PR problems. Their menu is simple and includes bowls, burritos, quesadillas, or salads.
- Dom's Rec - Fully loaded chicken burrito and a side of chips and guac
Gogi Grill - Imagine getting Korean BBQ on the go but with the concept of create your own bowl, burrito, or tacos. That is exactly what Gogi Grill is and their first NYC location just opened up in Chelsea.
- Dom's Rec - Bowl with Korean fried rice, spicy chicken, kimchi, hot peppers, cheese, sour cream, and gochujang (red) sauce.
Mimi Chengs - I am going to keep it very real with you guys because this dumpling spot just became my recent obsession. Mimi Cheng's dumpling are made using organic ingredients, handmade daily in store, and using their mother's recipe.
- Dom's Rec - Reinvented classic and Mimi Chengs dumplings with a side of Taiwanese street cart greens
Tendergreens - This place always reminds me of a grown up cafeteria except they are serving food you like, bomb daily specials, and there is a real chef running the show.
- Dom's Rec - Salt and pepper chicken, Tendergreens salad, and mashed potatoes.
Cava - This fast causal Mediterran restaurant was started in DC and expanded quickly to NYC. With everything from pitas, grain bowls, and salads there is something for everyone here.
- Dom's Rec - Pita with spicy lamb meatballs and tzatziki sauce.
&Pizza - This is the pizza spot you can proudly invite your gluten-free pals and with the numerous amount of options everyone is a happy camper. At &Pizza you can create your own pizza or pick from some the "The Hits".
- Dom's Rec - Maverick (Meat Lovers' Dream)